Click Here to check out Aanak’s SOP and make an informed choice.

DoJMA: Why do you think that you are qualified to be the treasurer?

Aanak: I have been interested in the financial workings of the college since last year. I have been seeing the way the departments and clubs function and I believe that it can happen more efficiently. There are places where we, as a student body, can improve. Every student pays Rs.450, out of which Rs.225 goes to the Student Aid Fund and the rest to the CSA fund. The entire budget is not utilised all the time. The money goes back into the administration’s account, which is a shame, because the students are paying for this.

D: In your Agenda, you have mentioned allocating funds dynamically to clubs when the need arises. How will you ensure that this happens and in what scenarios?

A: During a semester, if a club runs out of funds, they have to provide the CSA with a valid reason for the same. In such a scenario, the budget can be revised. The current CSA could do this only once. I will try my best to make sure that this happens every time a club or department puts forward a proposal which holds merit.

D: You have mentioned in your agenda that you want to introduce the use of a mobile app, instead of a sheet for PR drives. How do you intend on going forward with this idea, considering the fact that your predecessor wanted to do the same and yet failed in spite of having an app ready?

A: The app is a very bad idea. It has been tested and it crashes often. The coordinator of MAC agrees that an app will not work in this scenario. This is because everyone must download the app and for a large number of orders, the app crashes. The better way to do the work is by using Google Forms. This is how it will work: the person who is doing the PR drive comes to your room and shows you a QR code, which you will have to scan. This will redirect you to a Google Form, where you can enter your order. The response is recorded and a mail is sent to you with the details of your order. This will help you to get to know immediately if someone else has signed under your name instead of you.

D: In your Agenda, you have mentioned that you want to minimize the cash transactions in our campus. How do you plan on implementing this?

A: We can talk to Food King and other eateries to implement some kind of a digital payment method. I haven’t spoken to them yet, so I don’t know why they don’t already have these options. Most of the payments during fests are already digital. However, all transactions cannot be cashless. I will try to ensure that most of the payments at the gate take place digitally too.

D: You have mentioned that you want to be able to encourage the start-up culture on campus. In what ways do you think you can make this happen?

A: If there is a start-up and if the entire CSA agrees to a proposal sent by this start-up, funds can be allotted to them. We will be encouraging start-ups by providing monetary assistance to them. If I get elected, I will invest time in this in the first semester itself, unlike the previous CSA, which did not look into the proposals until the end of the second semester.

D: You have mentioned about proper utilisation of facilitation and felicitation funds. However, last year, the administration refused to give these funds to students who didn’t win. How do you plan on changing this?

A: I have spoken to Raghurama sir and he has told me that he wants all of the funds to be used up. So we can use the funds to felicitate those who those who have won at events and those who haven’t won too, if possible. The remaining funds can be used to fund projects that hold merit.

D: How do you plan on ensuring proper allocation and optimum use of fest funds?

A: The fest convener, treasurer and finance head are responsible for the fest budgeting. The finance head is expected to incur profit from the fest. My job as the treasurer would be to minimize that profit and ideally break even. If the fest has profit left, it implies that the fest committee has not utilized all the money that could be used to make the fest better.

D: Spree 2018 went into huge loss and that was a blow to CSAs funds. How did that happen and how will you ensure that it doesn’t happen this year?

A: I cannot really specify the reasons for which Spree went into loss but I think you should never start a fest budget thinking that the fest will go into a loss. I believe that every finance head and treasurer should have a solid contingency plan. At the last moment, if we have any money left, I will try and put it to use by getting better equipment for the artists and so on.

D: In your agenda, you mentioned that you will make provisions for advance payment to clubs in special scenarios. What are these special scenarios?

A: After talking to the technical club heads, I realized that they have to pay for the equipment from their own account and wait for the reimbursements by the CSA for months at times, which is ridiculous.

D: Last year, the treasurer had already promised that transactions more than 10,000 will go directly through the CSA but that didn’t happen. Why and how will you be able to implement that?

A: I was told by the administration that if the clubs submit an invoice from the company quoting the amount of an equipment or a project, then the SWD will pass the transaction as an advance payment. This will reduce the pressure on the club coordinator’s account. This is not a new venture but I will surely continue it.

D: During fests, if the delivery of t-shirts get delayed, people know that they have been delayed. Why do you feel that sending an e-mail about this is  necessary?

A: In the current scenario, a delay in the arrival of t-shirts is notified through e-mail but the content of the said e-mail is often very vague. I intend to provide the month in which the t-shirts are going to be delivered. I also intend to keep provisions in the fest budgets so that we can order a substantial number of t-shirts before the fest and even before the PR drives. This is bound to decrease the delay.